Looking for a unique internship at one of Canada’s most exciting media start-ups?
The Discourse is accepting applications from emerging journalists to participate in a 12-week paid summer internship program focused on data and education reporting starting May 2019.
The Discourse is a digital news media company that brings together journalists, members and partners to provide in-depth journalism to communities underserved by media. Together, we are contributing to a healthier, more inclusive democracy with a new model of community journalism based on deep listening to people who are often excluded from public and political dialogue. We are women-led media that privileges feminist and diverse perspectives, with top-notch journalists who are driven by the pursuit of truth.
- This is a 12-week contract with flexible start and end dates from May-September.
- This is a contract position that pays $9400.00.
- Please send us your cover letter, portfolio and CV to email@example.com by Friday, Mar. 1, 2019.
- We are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive company. We encourage applicants with a range of perspectives, abilities, backgrounds and experiences.
- Open to applicants between the ages of 15 and 30.
- Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
We’re looking for someone who
- Is interested in data journalism. You bring context to all of your work, you love researching, you’re proficient in excel and you’re able to work independently.
- Wants to get it right. You are a meticulous fact-checker who understands the importance of using primary sources, lived experiences and various experts to get it right. You question data and information when you get it — no matter who it comes from — and are able to show your process.
- Believes in our values and company mission. You are passionate about shaping the future of journalism in Canada.
- Can produce great content. You have a voice; you can write quickly and in an accessible way; you’re into social media, video and photography.
- Thinks like an entrepreneur. You like that The Discourse is a startup that invites reporters and all of our staff to play a big role in thinking through what we do and how we do it. You love experimenting and are committed to finding creative ways to serve community, building audience and membership along the way.
- Is a team player. We are a collaborative, female-led company that is trying to shake up typical newsroom dynamics. We want to work with people who are excited to challenge some of journalism’s bad habits and work towards creating a positive work culture.
You will work on:
- Obtaining, managing and analysing data related to Canadian universities.
- Writing multimedia articles.
- Supporting engagement activities, including off-line events and social media.
- Supporting reporters with tasks such as fact-checking and transcribing.
You may work on:
- Community interviews, stories and investigations.
- Conducting research about emerging new journalism models.
- Researching and writing case studies about subjects including community-based journalism methods and impact-driven journalism projects.
- Supporting membership growth and business strategy.
As a member of a small team at a fast-growing start-up, everyone at The Discourse is asked to contribute to a wide variety of tasks and expected to be highly organized and self-motivated.
Please note: A previous version of this posting stated that it was only open to students returning to school in the fall of 2019. The funding rules for Canada Summer Jobs grants have changed and therefore it is no longer a requirement that interns are enrolled in a school program or returning to school.