This position has been filled. Thanks for your interest.
We are currently accepting applications for a Data Reporter to join our team at Discourse Media’s Vancouver office. We are looking for someone who is interested in producing investigative journalism and other products using a data-driven approach. You will work on your own projects, as well as work closely with other reporters to support their work. As a member of a small team at a startup, this position will contribute to a wide variety of tasks and projects, including:
- Mining, wrangling and analyzing data
- Filing FOIs for data
- Producing data visualizations and interactive tools
- Assisting other reporters in data brainstorming
- Merging compelling narrative with data driven storytelling
- Reviewing other reporter’s data work to ensure accuracy
- Contributing to new project design, where appropriate
- Contributing to a positive, collaborative team environment
This is a permanent, full-time position (Monday-Friday, 37.5 hours/week) with health benefits.
We are an independent journalism company dedicated to in-depth reporting on complex issues facing Canada and the world. Discourse is building a home for new approaches to storytelling that look beyond conflict-driven daily news cycles. We tell stories Canadians need in ways they can trust.
Discourse produces investigations, analysis and data journalism focused on matters of public importance: gender, environment, education, urban development, the economy, politics, Indigenous issues and more. We look for gaps in reporting and pursue stories that have potential for impact. We publish on our own digital platform and broaden our reach through media partners.
- Motivated by desire to produce impactful journalism
- Experience using data visualization tools and platforms, such as D3, Leaflet, Google charts, and more
- Experience using statistical software, such as R, is an asset
- Experience with database management is an asset
- Strong eye for visual content
- At least three years of professional journalism or other relevant experience
- Expertise in or knowledge of Discourse Media’s current beats (including education, Indigenous issues, energy poverty, climate change, gender) is an asset
- Candidates need to be eligible to work in Canada
Send your CV and a cover letter that explains why you are interested in working at Discourse and what you would bring to our team. Please include a portfolio or at least two links to relevant work. Email your application as a PDF (with your name in the file name!) to [email protected] with “Application: Data Reporter” in the subject line.
At Discourse we are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive team. We encourage applicants with a range of perspectives, abilities, backgrounds and experiences. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. [end]
Support The Discourse's award-winning community journalism
We won SEVEN medals at this year's Canadian Online Publishing Awards! These stories wouldn’t have happened without our readers' trust and ongoing support. Will you help us produce more award-winning local journalism?