Discourse Media is seeking journalists who have established a level of expertise on a specific issue or beat area to join our rapidly growing team. Discourse has already reached millions with our innovative model of community-based investigative journalism, and in early 2018 we’re going national with a new — and expanded — digital product offering the highest-quality reporting to Canadians. Will you join us?
At Discourse, we produce stories that cut through the noise of the 24-hour news cycle and help the public make sense of complex issues. Our investigations are driven by community engagement. Our reporters’ job is to listen carefully, to involve community members in the choices we make about what we cover and to stay with stories in order to deepen our impact.
We are initially targeting the following four beat areas: money/business; urban issues; criminal justice; technology and society.
But we’d also love to hear your ideas: What issues do you think would benefit from this kind of in-depth coverage in Canada? If you’re an experienced reporter focused on a particular area we want to hear from you.
These reporter roles are permanent, full-time positions (Monday-Friday, 37.5 hours/week) with health benefits. Our head office is based in Vancouver, but we encourage applications from candidates across the country.
As a reporter leading a beat at Discourse, you will:
- Carry out research and analysis to inform and develop reporting, content and engagement strategy central to your beat
- Pitch, research, report and produce several major journalism investigations per year, with an emphasis on imaginative, original and impactful storytelling
- Produce regular newsletters and multimedia editorial content
- Maintain and develop individual social media accounts
- Deep engagement and dialogue with community members interested in your beat area
- Where appropriate, work with other team members to devise and create project-specific content (data visualizations, photo essays, text-on-screen videos, graphics, etc)
- Contribute to the design and execution of the digital strategy for in-depth investigations
- Contribute to a positive, collaborative team environment.
YOUR SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 5+ years of professional journalism experience
- Experience reporting on complex issues related to your chosen beat
- Track record in identifying original story angles and seeking out the bigger picture beyond the headlines
- Motivated by desire to produce impactful journalism
- Knowledge of solutions journalism and community-based methods is an asset
- Photography, videography, or data journalism experience is an asset
- Self starter, highly motivated, able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Open to collaborative working practices
- You must be eligible to work in Canada.
Discourse Media is an innovative digital news media company that provides high-quality investigative journalism about the issues that matter most to Canadians. We are boldly re-imagining journalism: how it is produced and delivered, how it is funded and most importantly, how it can serve communities — not advertisers or foreign investors.
Please send your CV, a portfolio of your previous work, and a cover letter of no more than two pages that explains why you are interested in working at Discourse, what beat you would cover for us and why. Email your application to [email protected] by Nov. 30, 2017. In the subject line, please put: “Application: Reporter, [beat name].”
At Discourse we are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive team. We encourage applicants with a range of perspectives, abilities, backgrounds, and experiences.
Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Check out other open positions at Discourse.[end]
Support The Discourse's award-winning community journalism
We won SEVEN medals at this year's Canadian Online Publishing Awards! These stories wouldn’t have happened without our readers' trust and ongoing support. Will you help us produce more award-winning local journalism?