We are currently accepting applications for a Sales Manager to join Discourse Media, based in our Vancouver or Toronto offices. As a key member of the business development team, the Sales Manager will support various Discourse editorial and data products in the North American market.
The successful candidate will work directly with current and prospective customers to help Discourse meet its sales targets. The Sales Manager will work with multiple departments including Editorial, Operations, Marketing and Finance to oversee and assist in setting and meeting sales objectives, manage sales processes and relevant documentation, maintain sales databases, manage customer relations and contribute to progress and impact reporting.
This is a permanent, full-time position (Monday-Friday, 37.5 hours/week) with health benefits. The Sales Manager reports to the President.
As a member of a small team at a startup, the Sales Manager will:
- Work closely with the business development team to identify new sales opportunities and target markets, and initiate customer contacts
- In conjunction with the marketing team, develop sales materials — including product descriptions and pricing — for different market segments
- Lead contract negotiations and manage sales cycles for key accounts
- Manage and grow revenues from an existing client base
- Provide regular sales reports by analyzing and summarizing information on all account activity, including status and call reports
- Maintain customer records
- Ensure high post-sales satisfaction that enables repeat business
- Ensure customer is billed on time and payments received
- Represent the brand in different events to generate leads
- Contribute to new project design, where appropriate
- Contribute to a positive, collaborative team environment.
YOUR SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Passionate about journalism and social innovation; literacy in Discourse Media’s issue areas is an asset
- At least two to three years of professional sales experience or other relevant experience, preferably in media or related fields
- Proven track record of exceeding sales and profit targets
- Proven track record in customer service
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong interpersonal skills; proven ability to effectively manage relationships internally and externally including confrontations, coaching and team building
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong customer orientation and comfort with direct client interaction
- Experience in using CRM applications
- Comfortable with data and reports; an eye for detail
- Highly motivated, energetic, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong time management, follow-up, and organizational skills
- Experience in marketing is an asset
- Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada
Discourse Media is an innovative digital news media company that provides high-quality investigative journalism about the issues that matter most to Canadians. We are boldly re-imagining journalism: how it is produced and delivered, how it is funded and most importantly, how it can serve communities — not advertisers or foreign investors.
Send your CV and a cover letter that explains why you are interested in working at Discourse Media, and what you would bring to our team. Email your application as a PDF (with your name in the file name!) to [email protected] with “Application: Sales Manager” in the subject line. The deadline for applications is Nov. 30, 2017.
At Discourse we are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive team. We encourage applicants with a range of perspectives, abilities, backgrounds and experiences. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Check out other open positions at Discourse.