Sales Representative: Community Media
Discourse Media Inc. is an award-winning digital news media company and leading Canadian digital news innovator. Our company provides in-depth, community-powered journalism to local communities that have lost a local newspaper. We are dedicated to building a future for digital local news by innovating a new business model.
We are seeking an experienced sales representative to join our Vancouver-based team and lead sponsorship sales for our successful flagship local product The Discourse Cowichan and in new markets in B.C. as we launch new products and grow in 2020.
Are you a motivated sales professional excited by the prospect of contributing to a healthier local news industry and democracy? We’d love to hear from you.
Please email a cover letter and CV to email@example.com by January 27 2020.
We are seeking an experienced sales representative to lead new business for The Discourse Cowichan and two new products that will be launched in spring 2020. Working closely with the Vancouver and local teams, you will sell our local sponsorship products to achieve monthly, quarterly and annual targets.
- Collaborate with local teams to identify and qualify prospects in 3 local markets. Target lists will be provided and you will be responsible for generating additional leads
- Customize sales materials for local markets, based off of developed templates
- Execute structured outbound campaigns using cold calls and CRM technology
- Develop long-term relationships with sponsors to increase lifetime value and provide the highest level of customer service
- Consultative selling to help local businesses and organizations meaningfully engage with community members through partnerships with The Discourse
- Travel to local markets periodically to attend community events and build relationships
- Track sales data and report regularly
- Full-time role based in Vancouver office
- Competitive base salary plus uncapped commission
- High-quality training, coaching and ongoing professional development opportunities to support your growth
- Four weeks vacation annually to start
We are looking for someone who:
- has relevant post-secondary education.
- has a minimum of two years sales experience in media or another related industry. We want to work with someone who has firsthand experience of sales processes and wants to learn and grow with high quality training, coaching and professional development.
- is a creative, motivated self-starter energized by cold calls, outbound campaigns and being part of a team with hustle. You are super organized and love sales.
- has a proven ability to build relationships remotely through phone and email. You are available to travel within B.C. periodically.
- believes in our company mission. We are building a growing and robust local journalism business because we believe journalism is critical to democracy. We want to work with people who are also passionate about the future of journalism in Canada.
- can demonstrate a deep understanding of or desire to learn about Indigenous issues. You respect that The Discourse made an explicit commitment to reconciliation in response to the Truth and Reconciliation’s calls to action for media, and you want to reflect that in your work.
- thinks like an entrepreneur. You like that our company invites everyone to play a role in thinking through what we do and how we do it. You like experimenting and shifting your approach in response to data and customer feedback.
- wants to contribute to a healthy work culture. We are a collaborative, transparent, female-led company that is trying to shake up legacy news media dynamics. We work hard and unplug most weekends and during vacations. We want to work with people who value healthy professional life and relationships.
We are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive company. We encourage candidates with a range of perspectives, abilities, backgrounds and experience to apply.
The Discourse is a digital news media company based in Vancouver B.C. The original company, Discourse Media, was founded by three journalists in 2014 to experiment with new forms of news. Since then, our team has been producing award-winning collaborative journalism that privileges diverse perspectives, is driven by the pursuit of truth, and creates positive change in underrepresented communities.
In 2017, we began developing a new business model for providing in-depth local news. Supported with startup funding from value-aligned partners, investors, family and community members who became owners in our company through an equity crowdfunding campaign (plus a lot of bootstrapping), we launched our community-powered platform The Discourse in 2018.