*Applications are now closed
The Discourse is partnering with APTN, supported by funding from the Local Journalism Initiative, to hire a full-time reporter on Vancouver Island to cover child welfare. This is not a typical daily news role. Reporters will be committed to listening to and serving the public, covering relevant civic institutions, and carving out space in the media for people to speak on matters of interest to them.
This child welfare role grows from The Discourse’s previous experience in this space. Reporter Brielle Morgan covered the child welfare system for The Discourse for nearly three years. In this role, she deeply listened to families and youth, collaborated with a range of media makers through Spotlight: Child Welfare, produced in-depth content and created best practices for reporters covering this space. Read her previous coverage to learn more.
- This is a full-time position that will start as soon as possible and continue through March, 31, 2021, with the possibility of extension.
- Positions can be based anywhere on Vancouver Island.
- The annual compensation is $50,000.00.
- You will be paid by The Discourse with funding from the Local Journalism Initiative.
- All of your stories will be published by The Discourse on our website and on IndigiNews. Where relevant to a national audience, stories will be published by APTN National News. Additionally, your stories will be added to the Local Journalism Initiative news portal run by The Canadian Press where they will be made available to other media through Creative Commons.
- Fill out the application below by 9PM PT on May 10, 2020.
- We are committed to supporting a more equitable media industry. We encourage candidates with a range of perspectives, abilities, backgrounds and experience to apply, and especially encourage First Nations, Métis and Inuit applicants.
- Producing regular and in-depth health content (pitching, interviewing, researching, writing stories, fact-checking, taking photos, shooting video, developing social media posts, etc.).
- Editing and uploading content to the website.
- Engaging on an ongoing basis with community members in person, at events, over email and on social media (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram).
- Collaborating with The Discourse and APTN’s central journalism hub.
We’re looking for people who:
- Are dedicated to covering Vancouver Island. You live in the area or are willing to move and bring relevant context to your work. You have experience centring Indigenous perspectives in your coverage and are equipped to build trust with communities.
- Believe in our values and mission. You are passionate about shaping the future of independent Indigenous media in Canada.
- Want to listen. You are curious and willing to listen to a range of people about what issues matter to them. You like to put yourself out there, host events, build community and invite people to meaningfully contribute to the reporting process.
- Can produce and edit great content. You have a voice, you can write and edit quickly, you can upload content to a website and you’re into social media, video and photography.
- Are committed to accuracy You are a meticulous fact-checker who understands the importance of using primary sources, lived experiences and various experts to get it right. You question data and information when you get it — no matter who it comes from — and are able to show your process.
- Are entrepreneurial. You like that this is a new endeavour. You love experimenting, testing, and learning and are committed to building audience and sustainability.
- Are a team player. We are collaborative, female-led organizations that are trying to shake up typical newsroom dynamics. We want to work with people who are excited to challenge some of journalism’s established structures and work towards creating a positive work culture.
These are new positions and we’d like to hear from as many people as possible. If you’re not sure if you qualify, email email@example.com. I’d be happy to chat with you and learn more about your experience. If a friend or family member has told you you should apply for this job, trust them and do it!