Welcome to your B.C. election 2020 voter guide for the Nanaimo riding. Here you’ll find all the information you need on the candidates, the parties, the issues and how to vote.
The Discourse is offering pop-up election coverage in Nanaimo. Sign up to get updates by email — if enough people are interested, we’ll stick around.
Is this my riding?
The Nanaimo riding covers much of the City of Nanaimo, from Hammond Road and Milton Street in the south end of town to Rutherford Road in the north end of town.
Who are the candidates?
- Kathleen Jones, BC Liberal Party (Website, Facebook)
- Sheila Malcolmson, BC NDP (Website, Facebook)
- Lia Versaevel, BC Green Party (Website, Facebook)
Your election questions, answered
The Discourse asked what questions you have for local candidates. Leading up to the election, we’ll be publishing their answers. We’ll add more stories to this list as they are published.
- What will Nanaimo candidates do for small businesses?
- Nanaimo candidates on homelessness, drug addiction and mental health
- What will Nanaimo candidates do to make prescriptions more affordable?
- Do Nanaimo candidates support the Site C dam?
- What will Nanaimo candidates do for seniors on a fixed income?
- Do Nanaimo candidates support electoral reform?
- Nanaimo candidates on raw log exports
- What will Nanaimo candidates do to ensure affordable housing for all?
Also check out our coverage of where the parties and candidates stand on passenger rail and public transportation between Vancouver Island communities, and how the current plan is lacking.
Where can I find the party platforms?
How do I vote?
- If you are at least 18 years old, a Canadian citizen and a resident of British Columbia for the last six months, you are eligible to vote.
- Voting day is Saturday, Oct. 24, with advance polls Oct. 15 through Oct. 21. Visit Elections BC for information on where to go and what to bring.
- You can also request a vote-by-mail package online or by calling 1-800-661-8683. Elections BC recommends requesting the package by Oct. 17. [end]