Cowichan This Week
Cowichan Valley news and events: Find out what's happening.
Welcome to Cowichan This Week! This is your essential reading for staying connected to what’s up in the Cowichan Valley. We update this page every week with current news and events. If you want to receive this information straight to your inbox, sign up for our Cowichan Valley newsletter.
News of the week
- On Nov. 12, the Q’ushin’tul Project released its final report on the child welfare needs of the Quw’utsun (Cowichan) community. Project leaders Madeline (Mal) Joe and Jenny George consulted extensively with families involved in the child welfare system, service providers and community leaders. The team put forward recommendations, including an overhaul of the foster care system to focus on supporting families to stay together.
- On Nov. 13, the Cowichan Valley Regional District board voted to acknowledge that there is a climate emergency. The vote passed with 11 in favour and four opposed.
- Cowichan Valley School District 79 has launched a Hul’q’umi’num’ Word of the Week program, the Cowichan Valley Citizen reports. The school district will post the short language videos to its YouTube channel. The first word of the week was Tth’al’xwum-utsun, meaning November.
- The Municipality of North Cowichan will apply for funding for a $1.9 million project to mitigate winter flooding on Canada Ave., the Cowichan Valley Citizen reports.
- Nov. 16: 🌱 Join Katia Bannister of the Earth Guardians Cowichan Valley for a hand-on workshop, Watershed in Relation to Water Sustainability, geared to people ages 15-30.
- Nov. 17: 🌲 Tour the famous Wildwood Ecoforest in Ladysmith. Learn about forest practices that support environmental health while visiting the oldest continuously-managed ecoforest in North America.
- Nov. 17: ☕ Get fancy at Nourish Cowichan’s Annual High Tea. Come for the tiny sandwiches, stay for holiday shopping with a diverse selection of local vendors.
- Nov. 17: 🎶 The Cowichan South Arts Guild presents Symbiotics East Meets West, an evening of fusion music, at the Shawnigan Lake Community Centre.
- Nov. 18, 19: 🏠 Curious about opening your home to a young person in need? Get answers to all your questions about Social Planning Cowichan’s Host Homes Cowichan program, Nov. 18 in Ladysmith and Nov. 19 in Lake Cowichan.
Have a suggestion for a community event to include in Cowichan This Week? Send Jacqueline an email.
Photo of the week
RCMP officers gather in downtown Duncan for Remembrance Day ceremonies on Nov. 11. Jenny Holden captured this solemn shot.
Have an awesome photo of life in Cowichan? Send it to email@example.com and it could be next week’s photo of the week!
In your words
The Discourse Cowichan is financially supported by readers like you. Why? “I believe in support for journalism that brings forth stories that aren’t being told to protect the elite,” Fiona told us. Thank you. We believe that, with your help, community-powered journalism can change the world.
That’s it for this week. This information is for you. Help us make it better by sending your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org. And, please help us spread the word by sharing this story.
Honest local news that you can't find anywhere else. We can't do this without your financial support.
"The subscriptions are for sale but The Discourse Cowichan is NOT! Integrity and smarts in spades,” is how one community member put it. Our goal is for the majority of our funding to come from our audience so that we remain accountable to the public, not corporate interests.