Welcome to your B.C. election 2020 voter guide for the Nanaimo-North Cowichan riding. Here you’ll find all the information you need on the candidates, the parties, the issues and how to vote.
Is this my riding?
The Nanaimo-North Cowichan riding stretches from Highway 18 and Herd Rd, just north of Duncan, up to Harwood Rd and Milton St. in the south end of Nanaimo. The communities of Crofton, Chemainus and Ladysmith are in this riding. So are several islands: Gabriola, Valdes, Thetis and Penelakut.
Who are the candidates?
- Chris Istace, BC Green Party (Website, Facebook)
- Duck Paterson, BC Liberal Party (Website, Facebook)
- Doug Routley, BC NDP (Website, Facebook)
Your election questions, answered
The Discourse asked what questions you have for local candidates. Leading up to the election, we’ll be publishing their answers. We’ll add more stories to this list as they are published.
- Do Nanaimo-North Cowichan candidates support a Green New Deal?
- How will Nanaimo-North Cowichan candidates support gender equity?
- Will Nanaimo-North Cowichan candidates act to stop old-growth logging?
- How will Nanaimo-North Cowichan candidates make schools safer?
- What green initiative would candidates tackle in the Nanaimo-North Cowichan riding?
- What will Nanaimo-North Cowichan candidates do to support people with disabilities?
- What will your party do to pay for the cleanup of mining sites?
- What will Nanaimo-North Cowichan candidates do to re-start the economy?
Where can I find the party platforms?
How do I vote?
- If you are at least 18 years old, a Canadian citizen and a resident of British Columbia for the last six months, you are eligible to vote.
- Voting day is Saturday, Oct. 24, with advance polls Oct. 15 through Oct. 21. Visit Elections BC for information on where to go and what to bring.
- You can also request a vote-by-mail package online or by calling 1-800-661-8683. Elections BC recommends requesting the package by Oct. 17. [end]